The Reality of Breed Specific Legislation

I've created this blog as a voice for the families who have been affected by Breed Specific Legislation in Ontario. Wonderful people have shared their stories and pictures with me regarding BSL and I thought they should have a permanent home somewhere. Some stories will break your heart and some will make you angry. This blog will never be open to comments or discussions of any kind.



If you would like to share this blog, please do. If this blog makes you want to act out against BSL, please write your MPP and voice your concerns.



If you have a story specific for Ontario, please share with me by writing to me at : lyndac@gmail.com and I will put your story on this blog.




Lynda Crawford

Friday, July 27, 2012

Alex & Hurley



I would like to talk about my APBT and how he came into my life. A very good friend of mine had two of them, Justice and Diamond, who were 2 of the nicest and most docile dogs I had ever been in contact with. I instantly fell in love with them and consequently the breed. I soon found out Justice and Diamond were going to have a litter of pups (my friend thought Diamond had been spayed) to the surprise of everyone which caused a problem. That problem turned out to be 6 beautiful APBT puppies in a city and a province that hates them (Ottawa, ON). So, now ensues a mad scramble to find good homes for the pups which was easier than anyone would have thought. Once the pups were of age to be re-homed they had all found excellent families to live with. The public seems to believe in the stereotype of "only gangsters and bikers have those dreadful beasts" but each one of there puppies with to average citizens. One to a enlisted man in the Canadian Army, one to a paramedic, and if I wasn't 2 weeks from leaving for basic training for 6 months at Depot Division at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police training academy in Regina, SK one would have been coming home with me. 

Now let's fast forward those 6 months. 

In my last few weeks of training I had made a trip to the Regina Humane Society with some dog food and supplies to donate. Being a dog person I was also there to check out any possible dogs for my future posting. I instantly fell in love with an old APBT who had come in as a stray. He was red nose but seemed to be more grey given his age. His name was Handsome Rob and he was not in the best shape as it had appeared to everyone that he had been on the street for quite some time. He was very skinny and had significant evidence of frost bite. Being that I was still a few weeks from graduation I was unable to give him a home right away but continued to visit and take him for walks and spoil him as much as I could. 

When the time came to bring him home, much to my disappointment, he was gone. He was an old dog and his fight had ended. Knowing how fond of the old guy I was the staff at the Regina Humane society introduced me to a 13 week old little brown and white APBT named Hurley who had been brought to the shelter by the Regina Police Service as what I was simply told was a seizure. When he got to the shelter he had a broken leg and a fairly severe skin infection. The day I met him he was as happy and playful as one would expect any little pup to be. He ran though everyone in the room and head-butted me in the shin and proceeded to looking me in the eye and giving me one single bark as if to say play with me. Needless to say I fell in love with him instantly and he had found his new home. 

Hurley is now 3 years old and is perfectly legal in the province of Saskatchewan, yet every single day people will walk on the other side of the street when they observe Hurley and I out for a stroll through this small town in the middle of the prairies. We have even experienced someone crouching down to pet him and when they are told he is a Pitbull they picked up their kids and walked away. Others look at me and say "you're a police officer and you have a pitbull?!?!" Most of this town now have a special soft spot for my little friend as I have spent countless hours walking him around town and stopping to chat with people and talking about how loveable and goofy the breed really is. I make sure to tell them a particular story about my friend's 3 year old (at the time) twin girls who were riding him like a horse and pulling on his ears like the harness and how happy he was to oblige their play time. 

I love Hurley as much as I would love my future children and someday when the law changes I will put in for a posting back to Ottawa where he will be able to live as a free as any other K-9 companion. The opinion of any other Police officer I have ever spoken to is that a dog is what you train him to be.. if you want a monster you will have a monster and if you want a loveable best friend... then you will have a loveable best friend. Breed has absolutely nothing to do with the upbringing of any dog. This is coming from Police Officers who are known to have German Shepherds, Rottweilers, dobermans and Pit bulls. 

- One person can make a difference.